One of the things that I consider to be one of the most important things when writing a novel is writing well-rounded characters.
When I write I want to write humans that are alive. They have likes and dislikes, favorite foods, and things that they would do on their weekends.
How I do that is by going through a list of things that I like to know about these characters.
Know I don’t tend to do this with every one of that characters in my novel but I do it with the ones that are important and in the book a lot.
And I do this by going through these things.
- What Do They Believe in? This could be a god, goddess, government system, or any other thing. And I like to go into how they show this belief. Do they show this believe by telling everyone, or are they just quietly believing in it.
- Why Do They Believe in This? Why do they believe in this system and how does it affect them? Why is this thing so important to them? Why do they resonate with this?
- Why Don’t They Believe in This? This is for when a character does not believe in something be it a god/goddess or government system. Why do they not want it? Why do they not believe in it? When did they start to not believe in it?
- Who Do They Trust? Why do they trust this person? Who is this person to them? What made them trust them so much? Why this person? How much do they trust them?
- Who Don’t They Trust? Why don’t they trust them? What made them not trust them? When did they start to not trust them? How much do they not trust them?
- Do They Trust Themselves? Do they trust themselves? Do they trust their own judgment? How much do this trust themselves? How little? Why don’t they trust themselves? Why do they trust themselves? What won’t they trust themselves with?
- What Do They Like? What are there favorite foods? What are their favorite colors? Favorite places? Favorite movie type? Favorite book genre? who is their favorite person?
- What Do They Dislike? What do they hate to eat? What do they hate to watch? To wear? What is a place do they not like to go to? Who do they not like to hang out with?
- Why Do They Dislike This? What made them dislike this thing? this person? Do they have a bad experience with it? Do they just not like it?
- Do They have any quirks? What are they? Where did they come from? Where they always there? When did they develop? Do they annoy people? Do people find it funny? do they love it?
- Are they shy Or Loud? Are they shy? Are they out going? Why? How do they feel about it? Have they always been like this?
- What Do they Look Like? What is their height? Body type? Eye color? Skin color? Heir color? heir length? Who did they get their looks from? Did they change any of this? Why?
- Do They Have Any Distinctions? Do they have any scars? Birthmarks? Tattoos? How did they come to be? Why? Do they like them? Hate Them? Would they change them?
- What Choices Would They make? Why would they make them? Could they be swayed to not make that choice? How? Why? How would going again their choice affect them? How would following their choice affect them?
- What Moral Stance Are They? Are they moral? Not moral? Morally grey? How does hard choices affect their morals? Can they go against these morals? Why? Why not?
I can go on and on about more things that I like to ask these characters. And I am sure that you would have some that you would ask your own characters.
But these are just some of mine.
I am someone who likes to plan out every little detail of the book. So you don’t have to use them all if you don’t want to.
But it’s just to give you some thoughts and questions to ask about your characters.
use what you will.